[council]

[council] Proposed agenda for next NC call ) Thursday June 6

Council
I have compared the current NC recommendations to the ICANN evolution committee paper posted 31 May.  There are encouraging areas of alignment:
- scope and mission - much as it is
- need for staff support to policy development bodies (PDB) (eg the new DNSO)
- a separate gtld PDB and a cctld PDB
- better outreach in policy development
- appeals process and ombudsman.

The key area for debate is the nature of board representation, the nature of the members and chair of the PDBs steering committees (eg the new names councils). The favoured proposals on the above all stem from the concept of a nominating committee. The committee is foreseen as having multiple roles -
- nominating some/most board seats
- nominating a neutral chair to the PDB steering committees
- nominating some/most members of the PDB steering committees

Given a nomcomm, a proposal is that the PDBs do NOT elect ANY board seats but the nominated chairs are ex officio Board members. (Note: NC recommendation 29 rejects this). So there is a lot of board nominating power vested in such a committee. (Indeed, if the ex officio Board members are non-voting, then the nomcomm nominates all Board voters. If the ex officio are voting Board members, the nomcomm still nominates most votes).

At the last call we began to discuss a nominating committee.I propose that we continue with this debate on the next call, as it is key to any NC response to the essence of the questions/proposals of the Evolution committee.

So the proposed agenda is:
1. Adoption of minutes of last call

2. Discussion on nominating committee proposals - from ICANN Evolution committee and others
- concept of a committee to nominate SOME board seats
- concept of such a committee to nominate chair/members of the PDBs
- composition of a nominating committee
- ex officio Board seats for PDB chairs and others

3. AOB

Philip Sheppard
NC Chair