[council]

Re: [council] GA

On 2002-05-31 16:28:09 +0200, Philip Sheppard wrote:

>   The NC has not said it wants to disenfranchise anyone. It has
>   redefined the role of the general assembly as being the meeting
>   point for stakeholders. The GA envisaged is not intended to
>   fulfil the existing dual role of today's GA.

>   The argument should be - who are the stakeholders? Agree on
>   them, and once they self-organise get them round the table and
>   in the new DNSO and new GA.

While that sounds nice in theory, it would be unlikely to happen
with the current NC recommendations: For most existing
constituencies, the incentives created would suggest _not_ to add
new constituencies.  Pretty much the only result of the current
recommendations (as far as that's concerned) would probably be a lot
more of conflict over who fulfills what conditions, and what these
conditions should look like.  (With the R&E committee
recommendations, the incentives look different, so it may indeed be
possible to end up with a - rather - easy process for including new
constituencies when you start from there.)

The very minimum the NC should add to its recommendations is a
tentative list of legitimate interests which are (1) recognized, but
(2) not _yet_ represented in the DNSO.  Individual domain name
registrants, for instance.  Just giving the current list of
constituencies (and nothing more) sends the wrong kind of message.

>   So, the question remains, how can individual opinion not so
>   self-organised be factored into decision making ?

Certainly not by public comment processes, as envisioned by the NC
recommendations.  Most of these processes have basically been a tool
to gather some support, and to demonstrate that there are no grave
objections from anyone one should have listened to.  They have
_not_ been a method to gather actual input.  (To begin with, most of
these processes have typically happened in the _end_ of a
policy-making process.)

Also, thinking abou the GA as a body which is solely intended for
cross-established-constituency dialogue leaves a several _possible_
functions open:

 - Dialogue with veterans.  The GA's members form part of the DNSO's
   institutional memory, in particular those who have been hanging
   around for a long time.  Roberto Gaetano is an example.
 - Dialogue across SOs.
 - Dialogue with the members of groups who perceive themselves as
   stakeholders, but have not yet gone through the constituency
   accreditation process.
 - Dialogue (as opposed to receiving comments!) with interested
   members of the general public.
 - Flexible addition of interested individuals to task forces.

And yes, I do maintain that this is best done in _one_ place. At the
same time, this means that the idea to close membership in a
meaningful GA is a bad one.  It just won't work.

Anyway, this discussion is kind of idle...  I could imagine that it
may be reasonable to freeze the current NC recommendations, and that
the NC (and not only the NC!) should rather turn its attention to
the recommendations which have been produced by the Evolution and
Reform committee.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/