[council]

[council] From Andy Mueller-Maughan

  • To: "Names Council (E-mail)" <council@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [council] From Andy Mueller-Maughan
  • From: "Harold J. Feld" <hfeld@mediaaccess.org>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:28:31 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@dnso.org

Hi,

just a few notices from my flight from jfk, coming from
the board retreat near NYC in garden city, long island.

Disclaimer: nothing officially has been decided, this is
a list of my notes of informal discussions.

The retreat in a way was making sense because of it was an
open  discussion about what "icann II" should be, what the
outcome of the process be etc. We had a less confrontative,
quiete constructive discussion, just interrupted by more or
less a few struggles.

But (just the most important points):

- no atlarge election of directors to be expected

   for "technical" reasons (donīt know how) the majority
   of the board agreed to not make any direct elections
   with this year. on the direct questions, if any directors
   would say "no direct at-large-elections under no
   circumstances whatsoever" 5 directors outed themself:
   stuart (lynn), vint (cerf), hans (kraijenbrink), rob (blokzijl),
   helmut (schink)

- the majority of the board agreed to the idee of a nomination
   committee (s)electing board members. status of the
   discussion is to keep 18 board members + ceo (to be
   discussed if allowed to vote) and some rought guidelines
   for setting up the nomination committee (including
   seats for advisory committees in the nomcom, that
   means govīs included). but on the other hand side the
   board agreed to the fact, that the empowering/selection
   of board members by governments is not an realistic
   approach (at least for now)

- some important questions like the jurisdiction of the
   organization and the involvement of staff following or
   developing policys where raised but not answered. this
   means: we should watch the limit of the acting people
   even those acting with best attitutes..

- in the discussion about the principles of the corporation
   it was accepted that the outcome must be a balance
   of interests when making policy. freedom of speech
   was at least accepted by a majority to possibly be
   affected when following intellectual property ideas.
   so i do think, there is chances to involve NGOīs acting
   in the area of freedom of speech in a "freedom of speech
   constituency" or however to put something on the other
   side of the intellectual property people

- this means: setting up of the nomcom is the critical
   issue now. taking balance of interests as the goal,
   identifying all actors in the game and their interests
   and impacts on the game is the job for the NGO community
   in my eyes.

And (watch out what comes next before calling it good news):

- Stuart Lynn announced to retire in March of 2003

- Joe Sims as Jones & Days announced to step out of
   acting for ICANN soon. He did not mention a precise
   date/time when, questioned by Vint said something
   like "in the next month or similar to Stuarts retirement"

- Andrew McLaughlin announced to be changing his
   involvement to half time by 1st of July

More stuff:

- Rob came with an official (?!) paper from the european
   commission (gordon.lennox@cec.eu.int) from May 21st.
  I will scan this and put on my website tuesday night CET as
  well as:

-  "ICANN II - Issues to be resolved" paper from Christopher
   Wilkinson, May 2002

- CENTR paper "ccTLD Requierements for International
   Coordination of the Domain Name System) from
   Marianne Wolfsgruber, gm@centr.org worth reading
   (online?)

Materials and some pictures to be on my site tuesday night
when coming back to berlin.

regards,
A.

---