[council]

[council] Conference fees as revenue source

On the last conference call, I was asked to consult with the NCC to
ascertain whether the NCC would regard conference fees as a barrier to
attendance.

The answer is yes.  I have received email from several NCC members
stating that it is already a financial burden for them to participate in
ICANN.  A conference fee to attend, particularly if it is on par with those
usually requested by professional conferences in the United States,
would make attendance impossible or prove a serious deterrent for them.

I will add that, from personal experience, many professional conferences
provide scholarships or waive fees for non-profits.

As with many issues at ICANN pertaining to cost, the issue becomes:
does ICANN (and its participants) value the input and contribution of non-
profits sufficiently to accomodate the very real financing problem for non-
profits.  Non-profits are a critical part of the Internet community.  Many of
our members play vital roles in maintianing an Internet structure in their
countries or providing training and Internet access.  I hope that ICANN,
and its members, will value this perspective.

Harold
Feld

This message was sent via http://webmail.his.com.
http://www.his.com/