[council]

Re: [council] NC conclusions on structure - draft version 5

On 2002-04-11 12:19:26 +0200, Philip Sheppard wrote:

>Further to the second NC call and e-mail correspondence please
>find the latest version of our draft conclusions in progress.

Thanks for that.

(Note, BTW, that the "call to arms" in Alexander's and my previous
message should not be read to be directed at the chair alone.... ;-)

>Recommendation 9 - policy making. ICANN policy advisory bodies
>should formulate policy recommendations based on a bottom-up,
>consensus process of the affected stakeholders.

>Recommendation 10 - impact. The policy recommendations from such
>policy advisory bodies should be ordinarily binding on the ICANN
>Board but with rejection possible subject to a 2/3 Board majority.

For what kind of policy-making?  I believe that we need to
differentiate between consensus policies as defined, for instance,
in the .com registry agreement, and other SO policy output, such as
the dot-org task force's work product.

For your reference, let me quote the definition of a "consensus
policy" in the agreement:

	1. "Consensus Policies" are those specifications or policies
	established based on a consensus among Internet stakeholders
	represented in the ICANN process, as demonstrated by (1)
	action of the ICANN Board of Directors establishing the
	specification or policy, (2) a recommendation, adopted by at
	least a two-thirds vote of the council of the ICANN
	Supporting Organization to which the matter is delegated,
	that the specification or policy should be established, and
	(3) a written report and supporting materials (which must
	include all substantive submissions to the Supporting
	Organization relating to the proposal) that (i) documents
	the extent of agreement and disagreement among impacted
	groups, (ii) documents the outreach process used to seek to
	achieve adequate representation of the views of groups that
	are likely to be impacted, and (iii) documents the nature
	and intensity of reasoned support and opposition to the
	proposed specification or policy.

(<http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/verisign/registry-agmt-com-25may01.htm>)

Note, in particular, that a 2/3 majority of the COUNCIL is a
necessary for a consensus policy to exist.  (Also note that an
independent review panel is necessary to make any consensus policy
binding under the current contract language.)

I believe that any recommendation from the council should answer the
following questions:

 - Should the contractual requirements for consensus policies be
   modified?  If yes, how?  How do the council's recommendations
   interact with the contracts?

 - How should the development of (1) consensus and (2) other policies
   be coordinated with the board, and with ICANN high-level staff?

   The experiences with the dot-org task force may indicate that an
   early involvement of active liaisons to board and staff may be
   very reasonable.  In particular, there should be early warnings
   when a task force is about to produce results inconsistent with
   existing policy.

   This may be covered by staff support, but I'd prefer if the
   council would be more explicit about it.

 - What, precisely should the council's role be?  How is it going to
   interact with the board and with staff?  How is it going to
   interact with the GA?

   Options for council's role:

   - Council can oversee consensus development.
   - Council can perform consensus development itself
     (Risk: Work overload of active members)
   - Council can oversee consensus development in general, but
     provide fast track for simple decisions.

   Options for relationship to board and staff:

   - More or less strict separation (status quo; not free of
     problems).
   - Board selects (directly or indirectly) some portion of the
     councils [Lynn proposal].
   - Add staff or board member as dedicated liaison; most likely
     non-voting.
   - Have staff or board member as non-voting chair of council, but
     continue election of members like what happens now.

   (I could imagine that a closer link between the board and the
   council could help to streamline the council's work, and provide
   an improved feed-back channel from ICANN's daily work.)

   Options for relationship to GA:

   - GA chairs may be made voting members of council
   - GA chairs may be made non-voting members of council
   - stick with the current situation

 - Relationship between funding and participation.  The council
   should think and make a recommendation about how to deal with
   problems like the NCDNHC's.

I suppose these are enough questions for the moment.  One other
suggestion I'd like to make to the council is that it may lend more
credibility to any recommendations made if they come together with a
REALISTIC appraisal of the current process, which points out where
the problems actually are.  (You may call me an optimist.)

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/