[council]

Re: [council] Re: ICANN's mission

Cary:

I have pondered your comments for several days.  First, let me emphasize
that my earlier response to you was in no way meant to suggest that today's
reality negates past events.  My comments were only meant to respond to your
statement that, "Although the latter concern certainly deserves mention in
present context, there is a large segment of the Internet user community
that would not regard this as the primary attribute of a well-functioning
Net."  My comments were only meant to point out that, in today's
environment, a "well-functioning Net" requires the assumption of far more
responsibility than did a "well functioning Net" some 8 to 10 years ago.

As far as your comments regarding the mission statement, I do not see the
benefit to qualifying the term "policy" with the term "high-level."  In my
opinion, this type of word parsing will only lead to future disputes as to
what is or is not "high-level policy."  On the other hand, I have no
objection to revising the suggested statement to incorporate your comments
relating to the need to acknowledge the "public benefit" aspect of ICANN's
mission.  To this end, I would recommend the following:

ICANN's mission is to coordinate technical and policy functions of the DNS
in order to promote a safe, stable and commercially viable domain name
system, promote competition, and achieve broad representation of global
Internet communities, all for the benefit of the public.

If this wording is insufficient to capture your concerns, I would invite you
to suggest wording that you think better expresses your view on the aspect
to the proposed mission.

J. Scott Evans