[council]

Re: [council] Re: ICANN's mission

Cary, et. al.:

I want to think a little further regarding your suggested revisions to my
recommended mission statement.  However, I would like to comment on the
following statement in your comments:

"The Internet and DNS were purring away like kittens long before notions of
commercial viability entered into the discussion.  Although the latter
concern certainly deserves mention in present context, there is a large
segment of the Internet user community that would not regard this as the
primary attribute of a well-functioning Net."

In my opinion, the argument that "the Internet and DNS were purring away
like kittens bfore notions of commercial viability entered into the
discussion" reflects both a naivete and completely unrealistic view of the
situation as it exists today.  The Internet and the DNS have evolved
substantially from their original "experimental" roots.  This fact is
clearly acknowledged in the Green Paper, the White Paper and the MOU.  It is
this very fact that drove the DoC to require an adjustment to the
administration of the DNS.  And, for this reason, this very fact should be
explicitly acknowledged in ICANN's mission statement.

J. Scott