[council]

[council] Re: ICANN Board resolution on .org

Grant,

thanks for taking time to raise these questions; the dialog is
useful.

which specific recommendations do you feel were missing
and should be re-instated?

The board debated in some detail:

1. requirement that the bidder be a non-profit, and concluded
that this requirement was neither necessary nor did it come with
any assurance that the non-profit status was real or artificially
created (e.g. by a for-profit entity). There is ample incentive
for a non-profit to make a bid thanks to the $5M offered by
VeriSign in such an instance.

2. The board concluded that efficiency operation for the current
and anticipated users of .org was a key requirement and that the
idea of specifically endorsing "good works" uses of "surplus" was
an invitation to all kinds of oversight tangles that would not
do the operator of .org, ICANN or the users of .org any good.
The board is very aware of the time criticality of coming to a
conclusion on a successor for .org operation by the end of the
year 2002. Complexity in terms/conditions would make that milestone
all the more difficult to achieve and would place operational
complications in the day to day subsequent oversight.

3. The RFP will in any case be put up for public comment and the
views of the Names Council will be of considerable interest to the
board and staff.

Vint