[council]

RE: [council] Agenda - NC teleconf. 04 April 2002

Thanks for the clarification about the time, Glen.

I am happy with the proposed agenda for working toward recommendations on a
topical basis.

In addition, I'd suggest that we work under a process where we try to reach
agreement where we can; move really contentious topics to an agreed to
"parking lot"; and work through where possible on those topics where we can
get to rough consensus. From the list on the "parking lot", then we can try
to see if there are issues where there is a very definite split, and maybe
we should agree early on whether the split is so firm and fast that we need
to agree on "minority reports" and how many; if that is the case, then the
two [or three] different positions can be getting underway in parallel....
I would see there being three kinds of positions:
1) there is broad and general agreement
2) there are very strong splits of 2-3-4 constituencies on different
positions
3) we don't know enough yet and should ask staff/Stuart to brief us further
on a particular topic.
4) other [yet to be defined... ]

It's just an idea to try to find a way to work within the group on areas
where we can find common ground.

Regards, Marilyn