[council]

[council] Accra: WLS and Deletes session

At 15.02.2002 11:12, Philip Sheppard wrote:
>   - session on Waiting list and Deletes (joint organisation GA, NC, ICANN)

Dear all,

I would propose that the session contains the following
elements:

1. Domain deletions
-- Current situation: Louis Touton mentioned that the number
   of cases (brought to ICANN's attention) where the previous
   domain holder lost his domain inadvertently has been growing.
-- Discussion paper: ICANN staff has written a discussion paper
   proposing that domain names up for deletion are put on
   REGISTRY-HOLD for 30 days, so that domain holders can redeem
   their registration.
   http://www.icann.org/registrars/redemption-proposal-14feb02.htm
-- For the session: Information about this proposal from ICANN
   staff, including information about registrar problem reports
   gathered throught the internic.net site. We will have to wait
   for reactions to see if one or more parts of the community
   dislike this proposal and respond to it.

2. Domain transfer (from one registrar to another)
-- Current situation: Transfer TF working on this issue
-- For the session: TF representatives should inform about
   progress made so far.

3. Re-registration of deleted domains
-- Current situation: VeriSign GRS has published a modified WLS
   proposal and has today posted its responses to questions.
-- For the session: Presentations regarding WLS proposal and
   alternatives from VeriSign and reply by Registrars.
-- It would be especially important that IF the technical issue
   of registry overload is mentioned in this discussion, it is
   clearly documented with data. This is a prerequisite for
   an informed discussion.
-- It might also be helpful if ccTLD managers could share their
   experience and tell us about their approaches to the
   re-registration of deleted domains. Are there similar problems
   and how are they solved?

4. Opportunity for questions to the panel and comments

Please let me know whether you find the elements helpful or
whether you have additional issues which should be integrated
in the "WLS and Deletes" session.

Best regards,
/// Alexander