[council]

Re: [council] RE: motion to waive rules

Thanks Milton for reminding this fundamental characteristic
of the NC vote, and since its origin. The vote is under NC control
and visible.

Because the NC are elected reps, and as such representing
various groups, it was considered since the origin of the
NC in June 1999 that the voting system be e-mail must provide
for 2 stages of verification:
  (1) by code (which is the personalized KxxxxZ, uniquely
      assigned to each voter-ballot)
  (2) by name once the vote is terminated

At the first stage each and every voter is able to verify
if what she voted for has been correctly recorded.
At the second stage everything is just explicit: who voted
for what is disclosed. Which imply that each group may verify
how their elected representatives vote.

The KxxxxZ random code is computer-generated. It is 4 hexadecimal
characters, which means that a probability to guess it in one try
is 1 of 65536 for each person. No need to say that the voting
software checks if there are multiple answers for each ballot
and should that situation arise, that case is double-checked
with full e-mail enveloppe by human.
If there would be any doubt about ballots received, the
Secretariat would be reporting immediately.

Elisabeth Porteneuve
(author of voting system and initial DNSO Secretariat for 28 months)