From: Bruce Tonkin [mailto:Bruce.Tonkin@melbourneit.com.au]
Sent: Friday, 08 February, 2002 11:24 a.m.
To: 'Chicoine, Caroline G.'; DNSO Secretariat; council@dnso.org
Cc: Louis Touton
Subject: RE: [council] motion to waive rules

Hello All,

> That is fine with me, but I think in the future that the NC
> should look at
> their rules and allow for these sort of email votes without
> necessarily
> having to have NC calls (except perhaps in the case of actual
> elections)
> This was a request to change one of our procedural rules and
> I believe it
> failed (assuming abstentions count as nos).  As the presenter
> of the motion,
> I have no problem with the email vote.  Email is a very
> streamlined process
> that also benefits those in time zones in which our calls are
> inconvenient.
> We are all busy people and I think the more we can use email
> as a tool, the
> better it is for everyone.

Just a comment from someone where the time zone is often inconvenient for
teleconferences.

I would like to be able to conduct votes on issues via email, where there
has been the opportunity to discuss the issue via a face-to-face meeting or
teleconference.

On the issue that was recently voted on, there was extensive discussion in
the last namescouncil meeting and also email discussion before the email
vote, and thus I think the use of email voting would be appropriate in these
circumstances, and we should consider how the ICANN by-laws could be changed
to allow this, (especially given the international nature of ICANN, and the
fact that we are supposed to be using the INTERNET as well as talking about
it!).  The Internet is intended to allow distant collaboration, and in fact
email is often regarded as the most valuable application of the Internet.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin