[council]

RE: [council] Re: NC Chair Election

The question to me should not be whether there is another person willing to
run against Philip.  I have no doubt that we could ultimately coax someone
else into doing it.  In fact, I was in that very situation when Dennis
Jennings stepped down and I agreed to Chair for a short period of time until
I realized the time commitments involved.  I can say that my tenure, albeit
short, paled in comparison to what Philip has been able to accomplish.

The question to me is do we have a candidate that has shown through their
activities on the NC and in the DNSO their commitment to the cause, has the
time needed to do a good job, and has the objectivity necessary to be a good
leader.  The reason that we even started talking about the NC election at
all is because I raised it as an AOB at the last meeting.  I apologize that
I did not think of it earlier but no one else did for that matter, or at
least did not peep up about it.  Moreover, I made clear at the last meeting
that my intention was to come up with a way to allow Philip to rerun.  While
we have not had months to think about it, I am not raising it on the eve of
the election.

You state "From the point of view of the election, it seems unlikely that
anyone would vote in favor of a motion to permit Philip's term to be
extended, only to vote against him on the following day."  The motion is
being voted on the day before the nomination period begins not the day
before the vote.  The purpose of the nomination period is for us all to get
to know the candidates better.  If the right candidate steps forward.  For
example, while I now know that you are interested in running, I do not know
very much about you and look forward to the nomination period to learn more.
I personally would have preferred not knowing who the other candidate(s)
might be before voting on the motion because even if I knew, I would not
have the benefit of the nomination period to get to know them better,
determine if I believed they were qualified, and consult with my
Constituency accordingly.  Moreover, people could now read into anyone voted
in favor of the motion as some indication that they were not in favor of
your running, even though that may not be the case at all.

You also state "For me personally, as simple an action as voting on the
motion according to my conscience (which would be against) might have the
taint of seeming as though I did so as a move to unseat Philip."  You state
this as if it is a bad thing.  Anybody interested in running should be able
to run.  There is absolutely nothing wrong in "unseating" Philip.  And if
the right candidate presents himself or herself (which of course could be
you or anyone else who might be interested), I am sure the NC will vote
appropriately.  Regardless of the rotation issue, I think everyone is most
concerned at this critical stage about getting the candidate with the right
qualifications to run.  Philip would have a slight advantage over other
candidates because he is the incumbent, but this is always the case in such
a situation (at least in the case where people feel the incumbent has done a
good job).

Finally, I do not think any of us should presume that there will not be
other candidates willing to run, whether or not the motion passes, so I
think people need to vote on the motion as it stands (with their conscience
to quote Cary).