From: Louis Touton [mailto:touton@icann.org]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 5:08 PM
To: Chicoine, Caroline G.
Cc: council@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [council] attending to content and consensus

Caroline,

Complaints about constituencies are not within the scope of the
Independent Review process.

Under the bylaws (Article VI-B, Section 3), constituencies operate with
a degree of autonomy.  The Names Council's role does not include delving
into internal constituency matters.  On the other hand, the Names
Council is responsible for managing the consensus building process of
the DNSO, including determining whether a consensus has been
demonstrated.  In that role it should consider the views of stakeholders
who participate in the various constituencies.  As you suggest to
Philip, the Names Council may wish to develop a framework for ensuring
that stakeholders' views are correctly understood.

Best regards,

Louis Touton