[council]

[council] Registrars and restrictions on org marketing

TF members:

I have done some additional consultations, both
with registrar representatives and with my own
constituency.

The conclusion I've drawn is that any attempt
to regulate the .org by imposing restrictions
on how registrars market the domain
is not feasible in a domain of .org's size.

Examples of problems:
* Many registrars employ resellers, and in an
extended chain of production monitoring and
policing marketing practices would be tough.

* if you disqualify a registrar, what happens to
their existing customer accounts?

* Registrars oppose it politically

I think we can move forward on an important
consensus point by making it clear that,
whether we go sponsored or unsponsored,
all accredited ICANN registrars will be able
to sell registrations in .org.

If we go the sponsored route, any restrictions on
registration would have to come from a CEDRP.
A dispute policy that can throw out offending
registrations is in my opinion the only feasible way
to enforce restrictions on a legacy domain.

--MM