[council]

Re: [council] Comments of Report of .org Task Force

Names Council members:

Louis Touton is a busy man and understandably he
has not had a chance to follow the discussions and
reasoning of the ORG Task Force very closely.
We understood perfectly well that the schema
proposed for .org did not fit into the pre-existing
categories ICANN has established. We chose the
new status "sponsored, unrestricted" because
there are unique characteristics of .org that make
it a neat solution to a difficult problem.

Every objection Louis makes in his letter has been
anticipated and discussed over the last three months.
Louis fails to raise any serious practical implementation
issues. He does not show any possibility of harm that
might come from following the policy. And he does not
show that it is impossible to adjust ICANN documents
to implement the policy. Rather, he simply reiterates a
rigid, semantic distinction that apparently exists in his
mind between sponsorship and a lack of prior restrictions
on registrants.

I will answer Louis' comments in detail in a subsequent
message and would be happy to discuss it with elected
Names Council representatives during the teleconference.

There may be a few minor ambiguities in the language
used regarding registrars that could be cleared up, but
certainly nothing that would prevent us from moving
forward with the "sponsored, unrestricted" concept.

--MM