[council]

RE: [council] Introduction of iDNs to be delayed to allow greater consultation - Thanks......

Council Colleagues,

The message from Verisign is much appreciated - let me join Paul
and send my thanks as well.
It provides for clarifications with regard to IDN plans. It informs
that the timing of resolution of IDN names in the com, net and org zones
will be delayed until mid-January 2002. Eventually it allows to
the community an additional time for better understanding a very
complex IDN issues.

But we need to learn rapidly, possibly to get briefings
from experts, from those involved in IDN development.
The complexity is at every level, not only encoding, but also
on current applications: which of them will evolve towards IDN,
and which not, and how competition is doing at that level.

As the first step, I would be grateful if VeriSign could organize
an IDN briefing for the Names Council in Marina del Rey, with
possible participation from engineers. Roger, could you help ?

Last not the least - we have an immediate consequence of VeriSign
announcement, the undergoing vote by the NC on the IDN motion
is abandoned - we started 24 hours ago, 8 persons sent answer.

Elisabeth Porteneuve