[council]

[council] Re: Recent BC Membership Decision

Dear Council members:

The following message was posted to the GA list
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc08/msg02054.html
and cross-posted to the Council list.  As I have not seen it appear on the
Council list as yet (it may have bounced), I am forwarding the letter
accordingly.

Members of the Names Council:

New.net feels compelled to elevate to the attention of the Names Council
certain recent actions of the Business Constituency to deny the efforts of
our company to participate in ICANN processes as a member of the Business
Constituency.  We bring this matter before the Names Council as a last
resort after making repeated unsuccessful attempts to resolve it first with
leadership of the Business Constituency.

Earlier this year, New.net applied for membership in the Business
Constituency.  As many of you know, New.net does not fall into the category
of an ICANN-accredited registry or registrar, an ISP or any of the other
constituencies within the DNSO, and yet we do operate a business that relies
on the Internet for its existence and counts among the vast majority of its
customers small and medium-sized enterprises that also rely on the Internet.
Accordingly, we thought it logical for us to join the Business Constituency.
We also thought that the Business Constituency would welcome our
participation given recent statements of its leadership regarding their
desire to broaden the Business Constituency's membership to include a larger
number of small business interests to balance its current domination by
large corporate interests.

After significant delay, our application was rejected by the Business
Constituency's "Credentials Committee," which informed us that New.net does
not meet the Business Constituency's charter redquirements because New.net
is a "registry/registrar."  We then asked the BC Secretariat how such
charter requirements comply with provisions in ICANN's Bylaws that expressly
prohibit constituencies from denying membership to a person or entity on the
basis that such person or entity also is a member of another ICANN
constituency.  We received the following explanation: