[council]

Re: [council] GAC and country name reservations

Erica:
Your comments assume that one can define "rights to
strings" in a mechanical fashion; i.e., by preparing a
list and then removing those names from DNS.

That is wrong. It's bad policy, it won't work, ever.

We went through this in talking about a list of "famous
trademarks," remember? Such a practice was soundly
rejected by the Internet community, and even the
more intelligent members of the trademark bar
recognize it as a disaster in the making.

We all know how governments behave. To governments,
the name space is another piece of territory, and they
want to carve it up and draw boundaries on it and
stick their flag in the middle. That process is fundamentally
inimical to the growth and development of the Internet.

We need to reject that whole mentality.

>>> "Erica Roberts" <erica.roberts@bigpond.com> 10/06/01 10:17PM >>>
I think the key point here is that until we have further definition of the strings in question and proposed rules for determining who has rights to the relevant strings, then it is difficult to see what would (and would not) be required to implement the GAC recommendation.  Before we can