From: Erica Roberts [mailto:erica.roberts@bigpond.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2001 12:13 AM
To: Antonio Harris; Philip Sheppard; NC (list)
Subject: Re: [council] GAC and country name reservations

Thank you for this Tony.
I guess our difficulty is that the GAC is not proposing any rules or procedures which would clarify exactly what names or strings they are trying to protect nor are they proposing any  rules for establishing who has rights to what names or strings.   Obviously WIPO felt they could not resolve these issues and it is now up to the GAC to propose a resolution.  So far, they have not done this.

I therefore suggest we note the GAC communique expressing concern about the use of geo/policitcal names as domain names and seek further information about the method for determining which names are and, just as importantly,  are not subject of concern; and the process the GAC proposes for determining who has the rights to use such names as domain names.  This is a problem that WIPO was unable to resolve and I have serious doubts that the GAC will be able to do any better than WIPO.

Regards,
erica