[council]

Re: [council] Task Forces and diversity

>>> Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@cetp.ipsl.fr> 09/02/01 06:14PM >>>

>You have a point here. For the UDRP TF the group of 20 is probably
>not sufficient.

You are missing my point. ANY fixed number excludes some people
and raises issues of representation. And if you make a group too
big it may as well be completely open. The only legitimate reason
to restrict it is to make the group size small enough to facilitate
more rapid communication and agreement. A group of 30-100
is what you will get with a completely open WG.

>How many people are listed in WIPO-1 report ?

The people listed in the WIPO-1 report are all people who filed
COMMENTS. The actual report was drafted by two or three WIPO
staffers (all European, I suspect). Apparently that didn't bother
you.

The UDRP TF, like WIPO, will have opportunity for public
comment. Anyone can file comments.

I would point out that the small drafting group
that created the original UDRP consisted of 5 people.

> I am of opinion that the world is made with humans, and that
> on professional level all of them may be replaced - just
> look on every memorial and see how many people have been replaced.
> The issue is to have the global worldwide knowledge,
> and to have the world developping and working together.
> Therefore proceeding in such a way as there is always several
> possible replacements.

OK, why don't you tell the registrar, registry, and B&C constituencies
to select someone else to represent them on the TF? ;-)
As for the NCDNHC, all of our Adcom members and most of our
members agree that M. Froomkin is who we want on the TF.
It is his positions and knowledge we value, not his birthplace.

> Words, words, words. How do you judge A PRIORI that
>  the willing to work people are not able to serve ? How do you
>  know it without even seeing people and trying to discuss together ?

In our (NCDNHC) case, there were no other "willing to work
people" not from NA. Your idea that everyone in the NA region acts as a
bloc to exclude others is both wrong and insulting. There
are many differences among North Americans on internet
policy, have you noticed that?

It is FAR more important that the UDRP review represent
different viewpoints on trademark policy adquately.

> I see volunteers, from various countries, 3 continents,
> willing to be part to the process. All lawyers, bio provided.

All from one constituency. In an open Working Group, they could
all participate. In a Names Council Task Force where places are allowed
by constituency, only one can. What conclusion do YOU draw from
this, Elisabeth?

--MM