[council]

RE: [council] Time table and problems with voting during travel

Tony, Marilyn,
NC Colleagues,

The NC vote to elect ICANN Board Directors was considered of
utmost importance since the origin of the DNSO and myself I
took the necessary steps to be sure the Secretariat is able
to face all possible difficulties in an adequate and responsible
manner.

The voting mechanism (Convention Style) request for presence
of 21 NC Members, scattered all over the world, for few consecutive
days for a real time secret electronic vote. With those constraints,
the probability is very high that several NC Members will need
proxies during vote.
Past experience indicates that some NC Members may be traveling
during the vote and still willing to vote by themselves, but sometimes
without an access to the e-mail system. It also happen in 1999 that
one of voting persons was traveling to a country without an easy
telephone access, and the Secretariat had to call a hotel in
Beijing and ask for a room number provided by a third party.

As you see, the spectra of possible cases is large.

To answer all those situations it is not only necessary
to grant proxies, but also to allow for votes by telephone.

In August 1999 the Secretariat installed three telephone lines
dedicated to vote, all with full international access, one of
them outside of the PABX (as a backup in case of PABX failure,
no matter how small probability it may have). The subscription was
taken at Genesys for a private teleconference system, with a
dedicated telephone number allowing the Secretariat to set up
a teleconference on the fly, should that necessity arise (it did
in 1999, we had a glitch in the election of the third director).

With regard to the vote by e-mail: the established rule is that
any NC Member may request for one or two proxies. Then, during
the vote electronic ballots are sent to all NC Members and to
their proxies (proxy information is indicated on ballot).
The proxies answers are taken into account if and only if a
NC Member cannot vote by himself.

With regard to the vote by telephone: if a NC Member wishes to cast
a vote by himself, he may call the Secretariat or may request the
Secretariat to call him. Over the phone call, the Secretariat
will recognize the voice of calling person (we hope so), then get
the NC vote, and subsequently generate an electronic backup ballot
for that person.

The NC Members have been receiving recently the telephone numbers
- this service is provided by the Secretariat to facilitate
you a necessary negotiations with fellow colleagues, but also
because the Secretariat needs to know how to reach you in all
difficult situations.

I encourage you to have a look on the 1999 vote in
http://www.dnso.org/votes/vote02/NCvote02index.html
It will give you the real example of all possible situations
(at least I hope so, but we may have new surprises ...).
You will see all proxies, and how the vote is handled when
several answers for the same person-ballot arrive.
The call to China is in
http://www.dnso.org/votes/vote02/Archives/msg00217.html

To be sure I was not confusing too much - the vote to elect ICANN
Board director is secret, but once the results are accepted
by ICANN the full record of who voted for whom is discarded.

If you have any additional question, please let me know.

Elisabeth