[council]

RE: [council] Ignore or investigate? << FW:Network Solutions Extortion>>

> Roger, et al...
>
> I am not speaking of a single complaint here. I am trying to find out
> what the policy is, regarding the release of domain names after
> expiration.
>
> peter

I wish to add a question with regard to a technical situation
which may lead to keeping released domain names for a long time.

Let me explain it as simple as I can.

  Name servers associated with a domain MAY be registered in a
  different domain or even in a TLD for which the registry is not
  authoritative (current Internet rule).

Now, we can have the following theoretical setup:

  In the registry for the com TLD:
    alpha.com. IN NS ns.zozo.fr.

  In the registry for the fr TLD:
    zozo.fr. IN NS ns.alpha.com.

Assume that the domain alpha.com is about to release.
The NSI Registrar (or Registry) will probably check, and find that
under this domain name there is a name server serving "zozo.fr",
therefore releasing "alpha.com" may have chain effects.

Whereas "alpha.com" domain could be released, it has strings
attached, and it may take time to free it.

My question is:
Does the NSI Registrar (or Registry) provide statistics about domain
names after expiration locked for various reasons ?

Practicaly speaking the only way to get rid of the above
alpha.com-zozo.fr situation would be to change the quoted
current Internet rule, but is may be as easy as changing the Earth's
spinning axis.

Elisabeth