From: owner-council@dnso.org [mailto:owner-council@dnso.org] On Behalf Of Cochetti, Roger
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 10:30 AM
To: 'Peter de Blanc'; council@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [council] Ignore or investigate? << FW:Network Solutions Extortion>>

Peter-

I understand that the NSI Registrar [whom I do not represent on the Council] is looking into this.

But please understand that the NSI Registrar has around 14 million registrants, a very large number of which come up for renewal each year and each month.  From all of my business experience, I know that no matter how good any service organization is, they will generate some percentage of complaints.  While I don't know what the actual statistics are, I do know that there are around 45 million registrations and that one one-hundredth of one percent [if service providers in this industry could be so lucky as to have this low a complaint rate] of 45 million is 4,500....4,500 per year amount to 375 per week...or 75 a weekday.

So, if we're going to take up the Council's time and listserv with traffic on individual consumer complaints, then I can assure you that our mailboxes will be flooded beyond anything that any of us can imagine.

So, while we all know that consumer satisfaction is essential to all of our businesses, I do not think it is a good use of the Council's time/mailboxes to get involved with individual consumer complaints about the NSI Registrar or any other registrar, registry, or reseller.  Even if complainers copy us on their complaints.

Roger

Roger J. Cochetti
Senior Vice President & Chief Policy Officer
VeriSign
rcochetti@verisign.com
(703) 326-2585/202-973-6600