[council]

[council] First views of NCDNHC on .ORG

Item Type:  Appointment
Start Date:  06/28/2001  10:00 pm EDT  (Thursday)
Duration:  1 Hour

The following points indicate the direction
in which the NCDNHC is headed. They have been
discussed for about a week and seem to have support
but there may be modifications, additions, deletions
or refinements as additional comments come in.
--MM

===
1. The Noncommercial Domain Name Holders Constituency
has a greater stake in the future of ORG than any
other DNSO constituency.

2. <under discussion>

3. We oppose any evictions or refusals to renew names
currently registered in ORG.

4. "While we urge that ".org" remain an unrestricted
TLD, we do favor identifying other ways to maintain
the noncommercial identity of ORG. These may include
policies related to marketing and promotion strategies
targeting noncommercial users, and may include a
recommendation that ICANN select (in consultation with
the NCDNHC) a broad-based noncommercial "partnership
entity" to act in a sponsoring or advisory capacity.

5. While the .ORG must, of course, remain a TLD for traditional noncomercial organizations and non-
profits, it must also be seen as a TLD to support
individuals, households, and unincorporated
organizations.

6. <under discussion>

7. The entity chosen by ICANN as the registry must
show its commitment to a high quality of service for
noncommercial organizations, individuals, and all .ORG
users worldwide, including a commitment to making
registration, assistance and others services
available in different time zones and different
languages.

8. While "restricted" TLDs may play a role in the
future development of the TLD space, we believe
that .org's history of accessibility and openness,
combined with the difficulties of establishing a globally acceptable definition of "non commercial",
makes restrictions on regitration a poor fit for .org
in the future. We urge that .org continue its status
as an unrestricted TLD.

9. The NCC urges ICANN to create additional TLDs
devoted to civil liberties, NGOs, and cultural
entities, among others, as soon as possible,
and to ensure that the redelegation of .org does not
distract from this process.