[council]

[council] Discussion draft on unique, authoritative root

Given all the various discussions that are taking place on alternate
roots, I decided to put together the attached discussion draft on the
subject. The motivation for writing the draft was because
I found a lack of completeness in the various discussion pieces
floating across the net (except for the technical references noted in
the draft). Among other issues not addressed was documentation of the
policy basis for ICANN's commitment to a unique, authoritative root.

This is a draft and I welcome constructive comments and feedback (I
am quite sure there will not be a lack of feedback!). The draft is
based on a variety of sources cited in the document. The draft does
not break new ground but attempts to restate existing policy and the
technical basis for such policy.

It is clear from the draft that I have persuaded at least myself that there are
solid technical grounds for a single authoritative root and that
ICANN should continue its commitment through established policy to
such a concept and to the community-based orderly processes that
surround such policy.  This constitutes a public trust. One corollary
is that with current architectures and under current policy, ICANN
cannot support the concept of multiple roots except within an
experimental framework, where experimentation is carefully defined.
Another corollary is that to change this policy would require a
community consensus for the change in ICANN's character that would be
entailed.

I look forward to your comments.

Stuart

Single_Root_Paper_v_9.4.doc