[council]

RE: [council] Agenda items....

I'd suggest the introduction of discussion on alternate roots.

Stuart Lynn has presented to the US DOC the idea that alternate roots
_could_ undermine the stability of the Internet. Specifically, collisions in
namespace (i assume he means "A" root and "alternate roots") could cause
users to surf to web pages they were not expecting, etc...

Stuart suggests ICANN have contracts with ISPs- but he doesn't say what the
"quid pro quo" would be.

Since he has brought this up, we should open the topic.

New.Net HAS contracts with ISPs, with financial incentives, to place their
20 new TLDs in the nameservers of those (large) ISPs, such as Earthlink.
They are well funded, and will continue to aggressively market their deals.

In fact, I attended a recent ISP conference in Baltimore, and New.Net had a
substantial presence in the trade show.

While this is a difficult and sensitive issue, eventually we (the NC) will
be expected to advise the Board on Policy and on our official position.

Peter de Blanc

P.S. I have no report on this, I am just suggesting we pay attention.