[council]

[council] Re: Collisions in Namespace

Philip:

Please clarify what you have in mind for this "report." A 200-400 word statement cannot do justice to the issues raised by conflcts in TLD strings. Nor can NC can take any meaningful positions based on discussions of such a report.

What you will get from this process is simply an airing of prior biases.

Why don't we take advantage of the strengths of bottom-up processes? Create an open working group, and see what it produces. It may, as I said, be unable to produce anything. But it may also result in some kind of compromise among parties who are now in disagreement and conflict over the issue. In the meantime, NONE of the NC's time is wasted.

>>> "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@aim.be> 04/13/01 03:04AM >>>
Danny,
thank you for re-raising the issue of possible consumer confusion/commercial
rights problems with respect to the proposed ICANN dot biz and an earlier
alternative root.

In the first instance could you draft a short (say 200-400 words)
description of the exact issue providing:
a) background with names of the organisations concerned.
b) an analysis of the issue arising as they may effect i) net
users/consumers and ii) registries/ root owners.

I will then table this for NC discussion in the first instance.

Philip.