[council]

Re: [council] Correspondence Between Stuart Lynn and Stratton Sclavos

Title: Re: [council] Correspondence Between Stuart Lynn and S
Dear Milton:

Thank you for your comments. The recommendations of the non-commercial constituency are contained below with my comments interspersed. I believe we did everything we could to meet the concerns of the community.

Stuart

__________

(Excerpted from http://www.icann.org/melbourne/dnso-input-verisign-revisions-28mar01.htm)

8. Accelerate the divestiture of ORG and NET to 1 November 2002.

---- .org does have to be divested by December 31, 2002. Close enough?
----  we pushed hard on moving up the schedule on .net, but this is not one on which VeriSign is prepared to move. However, the renewal competition requirements under the new agreements makes it somewhat easier for another party to compete.

9. As a supplement to the contract revisions, we support the creation of new gTLDs devoted to unrestricted use and non-profit organizations by June 2002.

----  there is nothing in the new contract provisions that prevents this. This is an issue to be explored by the DNSO as we move forward with evaluating the future of new gTLD's.

10. Ensure that the ORG domain remains open to miscellaneous use and that the renewal rights of existing holders of ORG domains are not affected in any way by the transfer of administration.

-- again, there is nothing in the contract provisions that prevents this one way or the other. This will be a question for ICANN to take up through the DNSO as we move forward into what requirements to place on the transferred .org registry. This input will surely be valuable in shaping that discussion and decision.

At 12:36 PM -0400 4/2/01, Milton Mueller wrote:
For the record, I note that the concessions ICANN asked for responded exclusively to the concerns of the IP constituency and the Registrars constituency and completely ignored the concerns of the non-commercial constituency.

Thanks, President Lynn, for continuing a fine tradition.

>>> Louis Touton <touton@icann.org> 04/01/01 04:59PM >>>
To the Names Council:

Yesterday, Stuart Lynn sent a letter to Stratton Sclavos (VeriSign's
CEO) regarding additional text changes and related undertakings between
ICANN and VeriSign.  It is posted at
<http://www.icann.org/correspondence/lynn-letter-to-sclavos-31mar01.htm>.
Mr. Sclavos sent a response this morning; it is posted at
<http://www.icann.org/correspondence/sclavos-letter-to-lynn-01apr01.htm>.
Stuart sent a reply, which is posted at
<http://www.icann.org/correspondence/lynn-letter-to-sclavos-01apr01.htm>.

Best regards,