[council]

RE: [council] ICANN consultation periods - Draft comminique

Erica I think that is a great idea!

-----Original Message-----
From: Erica Roberts [mailto:erica.roberts@bigpond.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 6:53 PM
To: Chicoine, Caroline G.; 'Peter de Blanc'; council@dnso.org; DNSO
Secretariat
Cc: Philip Sheppard
Subject: Re: [council] ICANN consultation periods - Draft comminique

Your point re ICANN processes - below  - is well made.  However, I think we
might take a communique further.
In the recent public meeting of the ICANN Board, some Board members were
critical of the DNSO's failutre to provide significant substantive comment
on the contracts being negotiated with ICANN staff.  It seems to me that we
should address this criticism by pointing out that, in order to get useful
input from the DNSO, the Board has a responsibility to ensure that:
1.  Reasonable time is allowed for the constituencies to consider the issues
and to resolve differences in approaches between the various constituencies;
and
2.  The DNSO and the NC has the resources required to facilitate consensus
building and provide well considered advice to the Board.  The support of
professional and dedicated staff is critical to ensuring that the NC is able
to do its job.

The Board has recently approved expenditure of almost half a million dollars
for a study of the At Large membership.  Given that the 'bottom up' process
of ICANN is substantially dependent on the effective operation of the
DNSO/NC, and the effective operation of the DNSO/NC requires professional
staff support, we should ask that the Board consider providing funding
assistance to the DNSO/NC for staff support.  Specifically, I suggest we
request the Board to match the Verisign offer to provide $100,000 to fund
DNSO/NC secretariat support.  This will enable us to access the $100000
promised by Verisign and thus will guarantee us a total $200,000 in addition
to the constituency fees.  A very effective use of ICANN's funds!

The timing of such a request is clearly important - and I suggest we package
it into our response to the ICANN Board's request for comment on the
contracts being negotiated by NSI staff.

erica