[council]

Re: [council] DRAFT minutes, NCtelecon 26 Feb, for validation

Maca,

Thank you for drafting minutes in so timely manner. It helps a lot.

Please find inside corrections to my text.

Elisabeth

> Agenda item 8: ccTLDs - report on issues arising from the 2001
> Hawaii and Geneva meetings
>

> E. Porteneuve reported on recent ccTLDs meetings held in Hawaii and Geneva.
>
> 244 ccTLDs operate worldwide (set-up according to the ISO 31-11 codes)
> while 98 (40%) contribute to the ICANN process. In voting procedures for NC,
> 95 ccTLDs took part, representing approximately the same percentage.
> Last meeting in Geneva was very well attended, 70 ccTLDs were represented
>
> The topics discussed concerned
>
> -   Discussions with ICANN,
>
> -   Agreement with ICANN + GAC,
>
> -   Financial contribution to ICANN (ccTLDs contribute 30% of overall ICANN budget).
>
> It was strongly felt that the ccTLDs have little chance to have a
> representative elected to the ICANN Board and are therefore, seeking
> new ways to get Board representation.  This does not preclude their
> participation within DNSO. The same topics will be discussed in
> Melbourne to fulfil ccTLDs goal to outreach to a largest possible
> number of ccTLDs in different regions of the world.

==> To be replaced by:

 244 ccTLDs operate worldwide (set-up according to the ISO 3166-1 codes)
 while 98 (40%) contribute to the ICANN process. In voting for NC delegates
 (both in 1999 and 2000) 95 ccTLDs took part, representing approximately
 the same percentage.
 Last meeting in Geneva was very well attended, 70 ccTLDs were represented
 the highest number ever reached in ccTLD-ICANN events.

 Three main topics were discussed:

 -   Agreement ccTLD with ICANN (including GAC);
     The assuption on contracts with ccTLD seems rather unrealistic
     - the extension of USG agreement with ICANN expect the contract
     with ccTLD within less than one year, which may be summarized by
     "242 countries and territories in 242 days ?"
     There is still a lot of work to understand what the contract
     or Memorandum of Understanding between ccTLD and ICANN is about.

 -   Financial contribution to ICANN (ccTLDs were requested to
     contribute 35% of overall ICANN budget for fiscal years 1999-2000
     and 2000-2001, 1.5 million USD per year).

 -   Direct relationship between ccTLD and ICANN, whether as a Supporting
     Organization or as an Advisory Committee.

 It was strongly felt that the ccTLDs have little chance to have a
 representative elected to the ICANN Board and are therefore, seeking
 new ways to communicate directly with the Board. This does not preclude the
 channel of communication within the DNSO. The same topics will be discussed
 in Melbourne to fulfil ccTLDs goal to outreach to a largest possible
 number of ccTLDs in different regions of the world.

 More documents on ccTLD-ICANN meetings is available at the ccTLD website,
 http://www.wwtld.org/meetings/cctld/20010201.ccTLD-ICANN-agenda.html