[council]

[council] WG Review process timetable and procedure

WG Review members,
you will see the note on timetable just posted to the group.
(Its content will be know by many group members already as a version of it
was sent informally to the group).

The Names Council (NC) is keen to see results from the Review exercise. By
this we mean substance not process, implementation not debate, means of
outreach that are designed to build consensus not frighten off participants.

The timescale of WG Review was always tight. It was asked to add ideas to
the process and the report for the Board. In this it has been successful.

Any additional ideas of substance (not already in the Task Force Report) can
now be submitted to ICANN directly as part of the public comments period.

All this is put phase I of an ambitious task. Phase II is the implementation
of recommendations both from the Review process and reports from other
working groups (such as that of WG D).

That implementation forms the backbone of a business plan that the NC is
introducing for the first time and will discuss at length in Melbourne.
Arising from the endorsement of the business plan will be the opportunity
for participation in a number of implementation projects and we look to the
active supporters of reform in WG review, upon closure of this WG, to be
active in this more demanding phase. Developing better means of
participation is a key objective of the business plan.

The NC looks forward to working with you in new fora and thanks you all for
the time and energy spent to date.

Philip Sheppard
Names Council Chair.