[council]

[council] AFNIC, the French Registry, is moving

AFNIC, the French Registry, is moving.

It all started at INRIA-Rocquencourt, the birthplace of many famous
French researchers and engineers working in the huge and well equiped
campus in Paris area, the former NATO quarters.

Then in the end of 1997, and after a long process, AFNIC was set up
as an independent not for profit association, using French law 1901,
with members representing the whole spectra of French local Internet
Community: users, Research and Universities, Internet Service Providers
(some are exercising Registrars function as well), Business, Intellectual
Property lawyers, French Government.

After several years on INRIA-Rocquencourt campus, AFNIC, the French Registry,
is moving. The new offices, as the old ones, are in Versailles district.
They are located in Saint Quentin en Yvelines, on the RER yellow line C,
allowing for a very easy public transportation access, twenty minutes
from Paris Saint Michel - Notre Dame.

The final move, the most difficult one is scheduled for 9-10-11 March.
Whereas the names servers will be operating without discontinuity,
there will be 24 hours cut of many other AFNIC services.
We will do all possible to have a smooth transition, we apologize
in advance for any inconvenience.

Elisabeth

NB1. As you may see from AFNIC history, we set up the French DNSO in 1997,
     and at AFNIC, both members and the Board, represents all sectors.
NB2. It is astonishing to see how much military funds (DARPA in US,
     NATO campus in Paris) were helping, directly or indirectly,
     in setting up TCP/IP and the Internet.