[council]

[council] http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/14999.html

Dear Andrew:

With reference to your article,

I would propose a slight correction, but one with major importance. You say
that

"At last week's ICANN meetings in California, the country code chiefs formed
a working group to explore the option of taking the name business beyond its
control."
The correct reporting would be "formed a working group to explore and
develop possible alternative scenarios and proposals for the relationship of
ccTLD organization within ICANN, with particular emphasis on seeking a
guaranteed level of representation on the ICANN board, coupled with a
guaranteed level of funding of ICANN from ccTLDs"
This is an explosive issue, yes- however, our (ccTLD) preferred outcome is
to work within ICANN to build and strengthen the consensus based, bottom-up
process of Internet Governance.
(final paragraph for background, not for attribution)
With all due respect to my colleague, Peter Dengate Thrush, I wish to point
out that in all politics, there are the liberals and the conservatives, or
the left and the right. The dynamics of (potentially) extremely different
viewpoints or "takes" on the same situation often lend new perspective to,
and expand our thinking process. In this case, Peter D T expresses an
extreme viewpoint. However, Peter DT is a lawyer, and prominent in the
Internet Society of New Zealand, and makes a valuable contribution to our
constituency. Speaking personally, I am "slightly to the right of Attila the
Hun"
Regards
Peter de Blanc
Chair, ccTLD Administrative Committee.