[council]

Re: [council] intake committee proposal

My feeling regarding the IC is that it was created to help with the
problems we have been having with the existing system.  On n numerous
occasions people have complained about the lack of notice or time to fully
reflect on issues, and I personally believe it has little to do with
emergency situations than it does with people not taking the time to be
proactive.  If YJ had not taken the initiative to at least start a thread
about the Yokohama meeting agenda, I wonder whether and when it would have
been done, yet done early enough for people to adequately consider it.  The
date of the Yokohama meeting was no mystery to us and we all knew it was
coming for at least several months.  My idea was that the IC would help
ease the burden of the Chair, at the very least until we had the budget and
staff to support us in our endeavors.   Perhaps once we have the
appropriate support staff, there will not be a need for the IC and thus we
can make it a temporary entity whose existence can be revisited say on n 6
months.  I say this having been the Chair for a couple of meetings and
knowing what an overwhelming responsibility it can be to keep the ball
running while maintaining a full time job "on the side", and realizing what
my shortcomings were due to the c constraint s on my time.

Finally, with respect to opening this us to the public, I personally think
that since we represent the DNSO, we need to be more accessible.  Early on,
I had a friend send me an email about an idea he had because he was not
sure what the proper manner was to bring it up to the NC. If we find that
it is unwieldy, we can deal with that problem at that time.