[council] Overview of Comments to WG-B Formal Report

FOR DISTRIBUTION ONLY WITHIN THE NAMES COUNCIL ***
PLEASE DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE ***
To: Names Council
From:   Kathryn Kleiman, Liaison to WG-B
Re: Overview of Comments to WG-B
Date:   May 17, 2000

I have read the 80+ comments submitted in this proceeding, and have prepared
the following overview to assist the Names Council in its evaluation.
Nothing in this report is, of course, designed to preempt the reading of
comments by NC members.  However, in agencies dealing with public comment, at
least in the US, it is not the practice for every member of the
decision-making body to read every single comment.  Everyone is much too
busy.  Rather, it is the practice for an individual to provide clear
summaries for all to use.  Traditionally, this individual is very familiar
with the report placed on public notice and the issues it raises.

I believe that it would help the NC effort if, after each Working Group
report and its comment period, the NC chair or liaison to the WG, summarized
the comments received.  The NC liaison/co-chair certainly has the detailed
knowledge of the background and issues, and I hope we can add this duty to
his/her WG role.

I consider this a working document of the Names Council and respectfully ask
that you NOT redistribute or repost this report.

Goal of this Report:
The goal of this report is to provide a brief overview of the main issues
raised in the Palage Report, how those issues were responded to (in overview
form) by the commenters, and what additional issues were raised by commenters
that seem to add to the debate.  I also point out some comments that seem to
well represent the views of the different "sides."

If your time is limited, some good comments to read:
If you only have time to read a selection of comments, I would read the
attachment to Palage's Formal Report (link found at the bottom of his report
or at http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20000417.NCwgb-attachments.html). The
attachments start with the Intellectual Property "Sunrise Plus Twenty"
proposal plus responses and concerns raised by the US Small Business
Administration; Richard Sexton, John Berryhill and additional signatories;
concerns of Ellen Rony, author of the Domain Name Handbook, Nader's Consumer
Project on Technology, Professor Michael Froomkin (separate comments);  and
concerns of TUCOWS, Inc. (a registrar).  I also recommend the comments of the
International Trademark Association (INTA), those of Raul Echeberria (NCC
Latin America), the American Intellectual Property Law Association, and Mark
Chen (at fas.harvard.edu) (found in the WG-B Formal Report comment listing).

Main issues raised in WG-B's Formal Report by Chair Michael Palage:
1) A mechanism is needed for the protection of famous trademark interest in
connection with the domain name system.
2) There does not appear to be the need for creation of a universally famous
marks list at this point in time.
3) There appears to be a consensus that protection afforded to trademark
owners will depend upon the type of top level domain.
4) Should the Intellectual Property Constituency's proposal of a sunrise
period of preregistrations plus 20 variations be adopted?

An overview of comments on each point:

1) A mechanism is needed for the protection of famous trademark interest in
connection with the domain name system.

This issue received some inquiry in the comments.  A few commenters
questioned whether ICANN should be playing the role of trademark police.
Professor Froomkin and others pointed out that the situation has changed
radically in the last few months - with the UDRP and US Cybersquatting bill
providing significant new protections for famous marks and are sufficient in
and of themselves.

2) There does not appear to be the need for creation of a universally famous
marks list at this point in time.

In a group well known for vocal opposition to points that it disagrees with,
comments were remarkably quiet on this consensus point.   Of the 80 comments,
only four addressed it on point.  The Japanese Patent Office, and
representatives of JPNIC and Hitachi Techno-Info Services Ltd thought WIPO
should play a role in protecting famous marks.  Raul Echeberria (NCC Latin
America) and Seann Hallisky of Chrotensen O'Commor Johnson & Kindness PLLC
thought it should not.  Most commenters accepted this consensus point and
moved on to points they felt were in active contention (see #4).

3)  There appears to be a consensus that protection afforded to trademark
owners will depend upon the type of top level domain.

Again, in a group well known for its opposition, this point appeared to
receive no opposing views that I found.

4)  Should the Intellectual Property Constituency's proposal of a sunrise
period of preregistrations plus 20 variations be adopted?

By far the most contentious issue in the comment period was the Sunrise
Proposal of the Intellectual Property Constituency.  In this proposal, (the
most recent to be introduced into WG-B-- about 2 days before the writing of
Palage's report), the IPC supports roll out of new gTLDs provided there is a
registration by all trademark owners of their mark plus 20 variations. It is
this report that yielded the vast majority of comments to the comment server.

These comments generally fell into two categories:  strong support and strong
opposition.  The strong support came from large and well-known corporations,
including the New York Times Company, JC Penny's, 3M, and Proctor and Gamble.
It also came from intellectual property associations such as the American
Intellectual Property Law Association, the International Trademark
Association, and individual committee and subcommittee chairs.

The strong opposition came largely from small businesses, individuals, the
noncommercial community and academia.   Opposing commenters included the US
Small Business Administration, Chelsea Data, Inc., Fuisz Technologies, Inc.,
Creative CompuSec, Ellen Rony, Richard Sexton, John Berryhill, Professors
Milton Mueller, Michael Froomkin and Jonathan Weinberg, and the Consumer
Project on Technology.

Many of the comments were submitted individually; some had large numbers of
signatures.  All told, the support and opposition was quite evenly balanced
(with about forty names/companies/individuals taking each of the two opposing
sides).
One repeated complaint was that the Sunrise proposal was so new to WG-B that
it had not been adequately vetted within the WG structure.  Among the many
other arguments, supporters often pointed out that the Sunrise Proposal would
make registering of marks by trademark owners much easier.  Opponents pointed
out that the preregisartion plus 20 would hurt those newcomers to the domain
name space who were seeking additional places to register domain names others
pointed out that the protection might be overbroad ("The sunrise proposal is
inherently inequitable, operationally impractical, internally inconsistent,
and nonconforming with the tenets of trademark law.")   Ellen Rony reminded
the Names Council:  "A 1996 comment of Jon Postel bears repeating: 'The
domain name system should provide for the needs of the many rather than
protecting the privileges of the few.'"

Perhaps surprisingly, there were a few parties who strayed from the strict
party line.  In the large commercial community, Intel Corporation indicated
it would be willing to accept a Sunrise Period with only the primary
trademark registration, not the 20 variations.  In the small business
community, the US Small Business Administration indicated that it might
support preregistration of a trademark registration within the confines of a
chartered gTLD where the trademark corresponded to the class of industry or
service served by the charter.

5) Other issues
The commenters raised a few other issues.  Three commenters (US  Small
Business, Chelsea Data and Loh Shin Shion) endorsed the NCC call for
protection of famous marks via a gTLD especially for famous marks (sometimes
called .TMK or .FAME).

YJ Park, in her paper on the Asian Perspective on new gTLDs raised some
important concerns from the perspective of developing countries.

Somewhat tangentially to the famous marks issue, there was a discussion about
.WEB, and a concern about the NSI proposal.

Conclusion:
I look forward to our important discussion on this topic on Friday.  I hope
this report provides some assistance in your review of the comments.