RE: [cctld-discuss] Re: [council] IANA Report on the .pn Top-Level Domain

Dennis:

ICANN's staff executes policy as it exists.  Policy development and changes
in existing policy require consultation and the development of a bottom-up
consensus.  But it's not part of the ICANN design (indeed, it would be
impossible) to demand a bottom-up consensus on every single decision taken
under ICANN policies.

The line between what is policy development and policy execution is, of
course, not always an easy one to define.  But where (as in this case)
existing policy is clear (ICP-1) <http://www.icann.org/icp/icp-1.htm>, and
the situation falls squarely within existing policy, the ICANN/IANA staff
acts as required by the policy.

Future policies might, of course, require certain kinds of consultation
before the staff acts.  But in the case of .pn, ICANN/IANA staff simply
acted as required by existing policy.

--Andrew