RE: [council] Next Names Council Teleconference

Sorry, but I have had a little "hiccup" that has made planning this
teleconference call a little bit challenging.  The call will take place on
Feb 18th at 15:00 CET (to allow us enough time to prepare for the call and
enough time to follow up on anything before Cairo), and we again need
someone to volunteer the bridge.  The proposed agenda is provided below.

With respect to the hiccup, I have been reminded by ICANN that certain Names
Council member's terms have expired.  Therefore, technically there are
certain people that would not be allowed to participate on the call.
However, in the case of the non-commercials, we would have no one
representing the constituency since their election is not until Feb 20th.  I
do not believe that this would be a good result, especially since we are
preparing for Cairo.  Nevertheless, I do not want to give anyone special
preferences either.

In an effort to be fair to all parties concerned, I have decided that since
all of the Constituencies except the non-commercials will have at least one
active Names Council member present for the call (although some will only
have one or two), the noncommercials will be allowed to elect one of the
current (yet expired) Names Council members to participate on the call so
that all Constituencies will be represented.  I hope that you will respect
that I have given this issue much thought and tried to come out with a
solution which most importantly assures that each Constituency will be
represented.  For those of you "old timers' who will not be on the call, you
can always listen to the webcast and let your representative know your
positions via email during the call.  Please let's not waste the precious
time we have left before Cairo arguing over this but rather expend our
energies toward the conference call and the meeting in Cairo.  And in case
anyone believes I am not being objective in my decision, please be reminded
that my own Constituency is one of the Constituencies that will be one short
for the call since we did not timely complete our elections.  Let us also
remember that the gTLDS have only had one representative on the NC almost
since the get go.

Accordingly, could one of the non-commercial Names Council members confirm
with me no later than the end of this week who will be participating on the
call.

In the meantime, I ask that Elisabeth confirm that the following people have
been removed from the Names Council email list, and that the DNSO website
properly reflect the fact that these individuals are no longer members of
the Names Council:

Amadeu Abril
Victoria Carrington
Jonathan Cohen
Richard Lindsay
Nigel Roberts
Ted Shapiro

Now on to more important matters, the agenda.  Please email your comments,
proposed additions/revisions etc to me no later than the end of the day
Friday so I can finalize and shoot back out to you no later than Monday.
All of us need to take the time BEFORE the call to prepare for it so we can
have a meaningful and focused discussion.  Given that we have had several
weeks off, I hope that everyone can devote such time in the next eleven
days.  I want to make sure we cover what you all feel is critical to the
Cairo meeting an thus welcome your thoughts on the items I have suggested or
the order of same.

Agenda
(A) Election of temporary Names Council Chair (Note- Chair may need to
co-chair GA meeting)
	Currently, the following people have been nominated -myself, Dennis
Jennings and Ken Stubbs.
	Please email any other nominations and any non-acceptances of
nominations to the list by Wednesday, February 16th so we can discuss and
vote during the conference call.  I will be declining the nomination since I
do not believe I can devote the additional time necessary to be Chair for
the next 6 or so months (as you can see, just preparing for this next
teleconference is killing me!)  I propose a simple majority vote.
(B) Status report from WGB Co-Chairs (Kathy/Philip)
	Summary of status (Kathy/Philip, please email a written summary to
us no later than Monday)
	Discussion on review/revision of charter (please email copy of
current charter to us in preparation of the meeting)
	Discussion on Constituency representation at public forum in Cairo
	Discussion on what role if any the NC should take at public forum
	(position papers can be found at
http://www.dnso.org/wgroups/wg-b/Archives/)
(C) Status report from WGC Co-Chair
	Summary of status(I will provide a brief summary by Monday unless
someone else is dying to)
	Discussion on review/revision of charter (review
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/19990625.NCwgc.html in preparation of call)
	Discussion on Constituency representation at public forum in Cairo
	Discussion on what role, if any the NC should take at public forum
(D) Election of WG C Co-Chair
	(Please email nominations or volunteers to me by Monday, Feb 14th.
I will post nominees/volunteers Tuesday morning my time so you can prepare
to vote on Friday's call.  I propose a simple majority vote.)
(E) Budget Report
	Summary from Ken Stubbs
	Discussion of Stubbs' proposal (expect to finalize and vote on in
Cairo)
	(please review Ken's proposal in advance of teleconference and
better yet, send him your comments before the teleconference)
(F) Status report from WGD (Theresa)
	Please email me before the teleconference whether or not you have
any objection to change all working group deadlines to midnight in the time
zone of the submitter (please email me either way).  If there are no
objections, we do not need to waste our time on this issue during the call.
(G) Agenda for the Cairo meeting
	(1) date and time (note-Berkman Center not available until March
8th)
	(2) report from WGB Chairs and proposed additions/revisions of
charter per 2/18 conference call
	(3) report from WGC Chairs (NC Chair to be elected) and proposed
additions/revisions of charter per 2/18 call
	(4) Discussion on Intake Committee proposed by Berkman Center
		(a) whether to implement
		(b) if so, what is its structure
		(c) nominations for Intake Committee members
		(Elisabeth, can you find link to the Berkman Proposal
regarding this and email to council list?)
(H)	Berkman Center Proposal on Names Council Meetings
-Process/Procedural Rules (Dennis/Philip)
	Adoption of Rules for physical meetings
(I)	Status Report from GA Chairs
	(Elisabeth, can you see if either of the Chairs would be available
near the end of our call?)

NOTE: With respect to the creation of a charter for a task force/working
group to review the implementation of the UDRP, Ted asked that I take his
spot on the drafting committee (which includes Theresa and Kathy) since he
is no longer an NC member, and request Theresa and Kathy to indicate their
availability during the Cairo meetings to meet and get down to work.  Kathy,
please note that Theresa will not be arriving until March 8th.  Let's wait
until we have further details on the exact times of the other events to pick
a time that works for everyone.