RE: [council] Cairo preparations

Just to add quickly to what Andrew wrote, the arrival of Berkman Center
staff and webcasting equipment likely won't give us enough setup time to be
ready to webcast any March 7 events.  However, we do expect to be ready to
webcast all day on March 8.

Regarding the possibility that one or both of Harald and Roberto may be
unable to attend: The Berkman Center has available the technology to connect
the room to the telephone network for a live (less than 0.05 second delay)
two-way discussion among those in the room (anyone using a microphone) and
telephone users patched into our Boston office.  We have in Boston the
capacity to patch in a single remote user, as we once connected YJ during a
NC teleconference and have at times connected ICANN directors; if both
Harald and Roberto needed to be connected, you'd need to hire a
teleconference service.  Note that there's no additional cost to the Berkman
Center in patching a single person in by teleconference assuming you call us
(rather than us calling you).

If teleconference is for some reason undesirable (say, the distributed cost
of potentially ~$1000 for an entire 8-hour day!), Roberto and Harald could
certainly use the standard remote participation system with RealAudio, chat,
and "official" remote participation via a web form.  Alternatively, it's not
inconceivable that we'd manage to use an IP-based two-way audio system like
that offered by lipstream.com via a Java applet or Microsoft via Netmeeting
(part of IE).

Ben Edelman
Berkman Center for Internet and Society
Harvard Law School