[council] UDRP proposal

Happy new year all. On my last day as a NC rep I wanted to wish you all the
best for 2000. I enjoyed working with and meeting you all. I will continue
to participate and will probably be in Cairo.

As I suppose is the case with many of you I have been buried since the
holiday season ended. As a result, I have not submitted to Theresa and Kathy
a draft UDRP monitoring proposal. Instead, I have communicated my ideas to
Caroline and asked her to take my spot. She will be contacting Theresa and
Kathy in the hopes of taking this forward.

I have explained to her a couple of my ideas. Basically, the monitoring
procedure should measure what's happening and what's not. Moreover, it
should measure on the one hand the extent to which the UDRP is
insufficiently protecting the interests of IP owners while at the same the
extent to which it is being used a "reverse dm hijacking" tool. In order for
what I call the UDRP task force to work it will have to be a tool that seeks
to measure everyone's concerns. Finally, I believe that the task force is
not a working group. It will collect info and ultimately lead to the
formation of a WG that will determine whether changes are needed. This would
probably be after a year (although there could be quarterly reports for the
NC and the rest of the DNSO etc).

These are merely some thoughts that I have been toying with. I am sure that
Caroline, Theresa and Kathy will have a fresh look at what needs to be done.

Avant de partir, j'aimerais aussi remercier Elisabeth. Tout ce qu'on fait
sur le NC ne serait pas possible sans toi. Bises.

Best wishes, TED