RE: [council] RE: Additional note on Cairo study session ==> famoustrademark protection

The review of trademark law would focus exclusively on the Paris Convention
and the TRIPS agreement. Here is the five minute discussion that I am
looking at.

 According to WIPO's own report, "the goal of this WIPO Process is not to
create new rights of intellectual property, nor to accord greater protection
to intellectual property in cyberspace than that which exists elsewhere,"
RFC 3, para. 32.  The scope of protection afforded by the Paris Convention,
the TRIPS agreement and the TLT is broad, but not absolute. Not every United
Nation member is a signatory to the Paris Convention, even fewer member
states are signatories to the TRIPS agreement, and only a handful of member
states have signed the TLT. Moreover, nothing in these agreements, either
individually or collectively extend protection to a mark in a country where
it is NOT famous. The recommendation adopted by the WIPO Standing Committee
on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications
(SCT) in September 1999 is designed primarily for adoption by individual
member states do govern activity within that state. How can this be
reconciled with the fact that Working Group B is considering protection of
marks on a global basis in a global medium of communication?

Does that clarify your concern Jonathan? I agree that a five minute summary
of world trademark law would be futile.