[council] RE: Additional note on Cairo study session ==> famous trademark protection

Thanks!  Let's do a similar matrix for WG-C - with cross-references if possible.

Esther

At 10:55 am 01/09/2000 -0500, Michael D. Palage wrote:
>I believe the best way to educate the Board, NC & audience on the subject
>matter of Working Group B is as follows. A 30 minute power point
>presentation, providing a brief 5 minute overview of trademark law and 25
>minutes discussing the hot button topics and where the different factions
>within Working Group B stand.
>
>The 5 minute overview of trademark law is important because I personally
>believe that Working Group B's policies and procedures are likely to be
>challenged in a court of law and therefore must be scrutinized to withstand
>judicial review. The issues will be presented sequentially with a matrix
>identifying where each position paper, group or constituency stands on that
>issue. I envision this entire matrix being reduced to a single two or three
>page handout (cheat sheet) for each NC or Board member to have as a
>reference resource.
>
>There is a symbiotic relationship between Working Group B and C and I
>believe it is best to address these issues collectively. Addressing these
>issues individually will only further delay the end result that many are
>striving for "the controlled responsible growth of the name space."
>
>On a side note. I have been in discussion with Eric Menge from the Small
>Business Administration - Office of Advocacy. Last week they held a
>roundtable discussion on Working Group C's report. I participated via
>telephone conference and believe that it was beneficial in crystallizing the
>points of controversy. Eric plans to have a similar roundtable discussion on
>Working Group B's work prior to Cairo to further illicit public comment.

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800    --  1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com                    http://www.icann.org

PC Forum: 12 to 15 March 2000, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
Book:  "Release 2.1: A design for living in the digital age"
High-Tech Forum in Europe: October 2000 - probably Barcelona