From: Raúl Echeberría [mailto:raul@inia.org.uy]
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 3:05 PM
To: council@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [council] Re: NC's UDRP WG

>With respect to the issue of proxies, while it is clear that NC
>members can use proxies for meetings that they can't attend, does this
>extend to have them serving on "subgroups" (or whatever we choose call to
>them) and carrying out NC member duties?

I see your point, but let me disagree with you and Theresa.

Each constituency should decide what can and/or what can not do an
alternate.
Milton participated in the LA meeting because the constituency decided it.
Nobody can object it from outside of the NCDNHC.

We are including the existence of formal alternates in our charter (which
is under revision) and we'll decide if an alterante can participate in a
teleconference, in a physical meeting.  However I believe that a
representative and her/his alternate could not participate in the same time
in the same activity.

Theresa, you said:
"... The only time I think there is an acceptable use of an alternate,
as was decided for the voting of DNSO representatives to the ICANN Board, is
if there is a voting issue for which the constituency representative is not
available..."

I (and nobody else) never objected the participation of alternate of
Jonhatan Cohen in the teleconferences while he was a NC member. My point of
view is that we only discussed the participation of alternates in that
election, but we didn't decided anything about other roles of an alternate.

Sorry for my summer english (yeeees, we are in summer here, time of
holidays)

Raul Echeberria
raul@inia.org.uy