Re: [council] FW: Doing something about dnsipv6 (Re: [ga] Result of PGPkeyexperiment)

Greetings all,

Since interQ is also an ISP we have (unfortunately) a great deal
of experience with SPAM.  There is no easy solution to these
kinds of problems, and filters can easily be spoofed, or avoided.
Before I start, I want to reiterate that Elisabeth has been
doing a fantastic job, which is filled with a LOT of stress.
I know it is not fun!

Some random thoughts:

1.  As much as possible, we should avoid limiting free access
to the DNSO mailing lists - this should be one of our primary
objectives.  If the individuals responsible succeed in forcing us
to significantly limit the lists, they have achieved their objective.

2.  Most of the people signed up to the list are intelligent enough
to determine that there are some posters who have histories of
abuse, and who's very existence is questionable.  In order to help
a "self policing" style on the lists, it might be worthwhile to
set up a special interface to list abuses, and users who have
been censured.  This strategy may induce a "shame factor"
such that borderline posters may police their activities.  Also
it would serve as information for new users to confirm which
members might be better left ignored.

3.  The ISP that has issued the email address is generally the
first to receive complaints about sending of SPAM.  Each member
should not report to his or her ISP that he is getting unwanted
mail.  If the mail address comes from AOL, then AOL should
receive the complaint.  Most ISP's have fairly strict AUP (Acceptable
Use Policies) that specifically forbid users from sending SPAM.
If the account comes from Hotmail or Yahoo Mail, it is much
more difficult to combat, as those accounts can be registered
for instantaneously with no cost involved.

4.  Much of the bogus email discussed about dnsipv6 is not being
sent to the list, but to individual email addresses, the listserve
administrator cannot do anything (except advise us of possible
courses of action.)  Once again, since this is an AOL account,
a claim should be made to AOL.  They will deal with it.

5.  Proactive measures to combat SPAM are very hard to keep
current, and are not scalable.  It is an unfortunate, but unavoidable
fact that the DNSO will have to live with some level of SPAM and
bogus postings.  We are not going to be able to come up with
innovative systems that ISPs and mailing list servers have failed
to come up with.  I feel Elisabeth's pain, we have to go through
these non-productive activities on a regular basis, and it is
not fun.  However, this is just one aspect of the Internet.

Just some thoughts,
Richard

--
_/_/_/interQ Incorporated