Re: [council] Emergency Reminder about the GA's Chair nominationprocedures

I have reviewed the proposals and see a number of similarities, etc.  I think
they can mostly be reconciled.  My real concern here is that as a Names
Council, we decline invitation to step in and provide the authentication and
pollwatching services ourselves.  In the long run, I think it will help the
GA and the DNSO more if we teach the GA to handle authentication and
pollwatching committees on its own --through the appointment of independent
neutrals.

In the proposals:  I do see a role for neutrals to review the names on the GA
lists for redundancy/lives in being etc. (see proposal of
R.Gaetano@iaea.org).  I also think there is a role for a neutral pollwatching
committee (see proposal of J.Weinberg which seems to expand on, but be
slightly different from the proposal of Roberto's).

But I would like to recommend that we don't take the easy way and appoint
ourselves -- members of the Names Council to this/these groups.  Let's see if
we can find some neutrals -- perhaps leaders of other Supporting
Organizations -- to work with the GA on authentication/poll watching.  If we
do, we will be viewed as the good guys who took the high ground.

Kathy Kleiman