Re: FW: [council] [ga] GA representation on the Names Council

John Klensin lists three options for the GA below.  I know he has thought
long and hard about this subject, but there is also a 4th option:  for groups
that work with individuals to assist the GA in providing its own structure
and vision.  There are grassroots membership organizations that work with the
sticky, messy issues of grassroots democracy that can provide considerable
expertise and insight to the GA.

While the NC may someday feel the need to provide leadership to the GA, now
is not the time.   As John Klensin points in his message below, "there are
legitimate groups of people in the DNSO who are not represented in any
constituency" and accordingly are not represented by the Names Council.
These groups would view it very badly (as would the press and others I think)
if the Names Council stepped in too quickly to provide guidance or assert
authority.

I know that the GA seems as if it has been a disorganized for a long time.
But we are just at the beginning of the ICANN Process.  Like the
Noncommercial Constituency, the GA is a heterogeneous, international, diverse
group.  It will inevitably take a little longer to organize than those with
common commercial interests.

A little more time is not a terrible thing.
Kathy Kleiman