RE: [council] FW: [ga] nomination procedures

Theresa, Dennis:

I agree for the most part with both of you in that at least two of the
proposals currently being discussed in the GA are not "acceptable"
procedurally.  However, there appear to be at least eight proposals in
total under consideration (according to a recent posting by Kent Crispin,
who has taken the trouble to list and summarize them), including some that
are serious attempts to put together a workable structure and which address
 your points 1) and 2) at least in part.  I am also encouraged by the fact
that there appears to be a genuine and constructive dialog developing among
GA members, that is rising above the disturbing events of the past few weeks.

I suppose my real motivation in writing is to express both my general
agreement with your suggestion below, but tempered by a concern that
perhaps we shouldn't jump the gun too much in sending out a strongly worded
statement to the GA prematurely.  At the same time, I realize that the
deadline for submission of proposals to the NC by the GA is at the end of
the week, so, as usual, we do not have a great deal of time to decide how
to proceed.  I particularly agree with your point 3), and that the GA
should be encouraged to incorporate it into their proposals.  However, I'd
be interested in everyone's thoughts as to how best to do this.

Victoria

At 05:31 PM 15/11/99 , you wrote:
>Theresa,
>
>I think you have put it succinctly.  I suggest we go with that suggestion.
>
>Dennis
>
>--------------------------------
>Dennis Jennings
>Dennis.Jennings@ucd.ie
>Phone:  +353 87 220 8225 (Mobile)
>Fax:  +353 1 495 1324
>
>On Monday, November 15, 1999 7:41 PM, Theresa Swinehart
>[SMTP:Theresa.Swinehart@wcom.com] wrote:
>> For those who have been following the GA list, there is the development of a
>> direction which isn't in my view acceptable. I think the note below that
>> John's sent to the GA is useful, and also raises some pretty important
>> points. I  think the NC needs to work together and get a clear statement out
>> about what it will, and will not, accept in the way of nominations for the
>> GA chair extremely soon.
>>
>> So let's get to work on something now. Here are some basic suggestions to
>> get started:
>>
>> 1) The NC will accept a list of 5 nominated names which the GA has selected.
>> 2) The NC expects the GA membership to indicate its level of support for
>> these nominees (e.g., endorsements).
>> 3) The NC expects to have a short background, and statement of purpose and
>> objectives the nominee in the role as Chair of the GA. This should include:
>> what the nominee can do for the GA and its role in the DNSO; how they intend
>> to interact with the NC and the 7 constituencies within the DNSO; and
>> anything else the nominee considers important.
>>
>> I'd like to suggest we have these ready to post in as soon a time frame as
>> possible. I realize we're all very busy, but the direction the dialogues
>> been going has me quite concerned.
>>
>> Theresa

Shapiro Cohen
Group of Intellectual Property Practices
Ottawa, Canada

Telephone: (613)232-5300
Facsimile: (613) 563-9231

This correspondence is intended for the person to whom it is addressed
and contains information that is confidential, and/or privileged to the
named recipient, and may be proprietary in nature. It is not to be used
by any other person and/or organization.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by telephone (collect)
and/or return e-mail.