RE: [council] Some Observations

Joe,

thanks for your quick answer. I see we are generally in agreement - even if
we will certainly have to discuss the question of when which small group is
involved in which decisions in detail. The Names Council will surely
provide a clear attitude towards this - at the latest when it is no longer
"provisional" in a few days.

Best regards,
Michael

At 07:12 08.10.99 -0400, Joe Sims wrote:
>____
>
>  This message is intended for the individual or entity named above.  If you
>are not the intended
>  recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to
>others; also please
>  notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from
>your system.  Thank you.
>____
>
>Micheal, my view on this is that we are still in the formation stage of
>this organization; neither the structure nor the procedural rules are or
>should be cast in stone.  Indeed, without meaning to be technical, the NC
>is still only "provisional," which reflects the transitional nature of the
>current situation.  The goal here is to create a working institution, and
>my view on how this should be done has been consistent from my first days
>working with Jon:  someone (or small group) must take the lead, seeking to
>identify and reflect consensus as accurately as possible, and constantly
>rechecking with the community to ensure that the understanding of the
>consensus is accurate.  The NC is, in fact, just such a small group; so is
>the Board.  I certainly respect your view that the wrong small group was
>involved here, but I do not see why those involved in the DNSO are any more
>interested, nor have a stronger claim to involvement, than the rest of the
>community, since these negotiations were really about whether ICANN was
>going to exist and function as much as they were any particular details.  I
>welcome your thoughts and reactions to whether the negotiators got it
>right, or at least close enough, and I am sure the Board will consider them
>carefully in carrying out its responsibilities in this regard.

  | Michael Schneider      CEO, AboveNet Deutschland GmbH            |
  |                        CEO, World Switch GmbH                    |
  |                    Founder, Schneider & Schollmeyer Law Firm     |
  |                   Chairman, eco - Electronic Commerce Forum e.V. |
  |                   Director, European ISP Association (EuroISPA)  |
  |                     Member, Names Council of ICANN               |
  | Eschborner Landstrasse 112, D-60489 Frankfurt am Main            |
  | Phone: +49 2242 927027      Michael.Schneider@abovenet.de        |