RE: [council] Follow-up Note on DNSO Funding for L.A. meeting expenses

Andrew,

I think that charging a meeting fee is a very reasonable - but partial -
solution.

At the last two NC teleconferences, commitments were made that the Names
Council members would attempt to persuade their Constituencies to raise
$5,000 (approx. ? 5,000) each within 30 days of the LA meeting. (There was
an objection on behalf of the Non Commercial Constituency on the basis of
ability to pay).

I am now pursuing this with the ccTLD Constituency.

As an example of the seriousness with which I treat these sort of financial
matters, I am hereby committing that the IE Domain Registry will underwrite
the ccTLD $5,000 (approx. ?5,000) contribution (without prejudice to any
future decision that the IE Domain Registry may make on contributing to
ICANN).

Dennis

On Wednesday, October 06, 1999 7:30 AM, Andrew McLaughlin
[SMTP:mclaughlin@pobox.com] wrote:
> To the Names Council:
>
> Ben's note earlier today provides a helpful and thorough elaboration of
the
> costs entailed by the DNSO's webcasting requirements.  Lest anyone get
the
> wrong idea, however, let me squarely address one of Ben's hypotheticals:
>
> >But webcast costs might conceivably be split
> >in some other way.  ICANN might simply subsidize the DNSO -- not passing
on
> >to the DNSO all costs relating to the DNSO, as I understand (but Andrew
> >should confirm) was done in Berlin.
>
> I confirm that ICANN has subsidized the costs of webcasting and
translation
> services for the DNSO both at Berlin and at Santiago.  I can also confirm
> that that arrangement is no longer an option for Los Angeles.
>
> As I understand it, the Names Council today pledged that it would
eventually
> figure out a way to pay for webcasting and related meeting expenses, but
> that it would take no steps to generate funds in advance of Los Angeles.
 As
> you may recall, this was the same pledge that the Names Council expressed
> me prior to Santiago;  however, there has been no sign of progress on
that
> front in the intervening months.  While I appreciate the difficult
demands
> and pressures that have been brought to bear on the Names Council, I
simply
> cannot offer the DNSO yet another blank check for its meeting expenses,
> particularly when the DNSO's existing obligations to ICANN and the
Berkman
> Center remain unpaid.
>
> I see two relatively straightforward and painless ways to address the
DNSO's

 2