Re: [council] TOTALLY INCORRECT Information about CENTR

/* some of the CCs removed since I'm not on the respective lists */

At 19:40 06.10.99 +0100, Dennis Jennings wrote:

 >CENTR Colleagues,
 >
 >A press article in a Swedish journal included the following TOTALLY
 >INCORRECT information about CENTR.

A truely interesting contribution. One never ceases to learn ;-)

For general amusement I can contribute some extracts from an article which
the German magazine "NetInvestor" (sic!) published a couple of weeks ago on
the topic of ICANN:

"dominance instead of monopoly ... the golden cow slaughtered.

The monopoly of Network Solutions has been broken ... now other companies
my also act as registrars of Internet-addresses. ... Core, the Center for
Organ Recovery & Education, is one of the five chosen few that may
distribute Domain Names."

It is always wonderful in what detail some journalists do research. Luckily
the reports are sometimes so evidently incorrect that one mustn't worry
about the result. Even the Swedish journal already disqualified itself in
the second sentence:

 >"CENTR proposes the introduction of the TLD .eu in order to promote the
 >interest of Europe. Because the national TLDs are relatively small
 >compared with .com, .net and .org, 33 ccTLDs decided in March 1998 to
 >establish the organisation for lobbying called CENTR.

One should recommend the authors to have a look at the TLD .de, which (at
least when combined with two or three of the other leading European ccTLDs)
is not really several orders of magnitude away from .com.

 >We, the CENTR Executive and staff, are trying to find out whether this
 >was just bad/stupid journalism - or whether there is perhaps a more
 >sinister explanation.

The latter I can hardly imagine in view of the quality of the quote.

Best regards,
Michael Schneider

  | Michael Schneider      CEO, AboveNet Deutschland GmbH            |
  |                        CEO, World Switch GmbH                    |
  |                    Founder, Schneider & Schollmeyer Law Firm     |
  |                   Chairman, eco - Electronic Commerce Forum e.V. |
  |                   Director, European ISP Association (EuroISPA)  |
  |                     Member, Names Council of ICANN               |
  | Eschborner Landstrasse 112, D-60489 Frankfurt am Main            |
  | Phone: +49 2242 927027      Michael.Schneider@abovenet.de        |